A very Yummy Christmas
Updated: Apr 13
If you haven't quite thought about how you are going to serve those prawns you bought, or what to do with the accompanying veg for Christmas dinner, we have the answer a couple of ideas to get the taste buds tingling.
Starters for the big day...
GOATS CHEESE, PEAR & ROASTED PECAN SALAD WITH A RASPBERRY & MINT DRESSING
This extra-special vegetarian starter is bursting with contrasting flavours and textures, perfect for the Festive season.
2tbs Sweet Chilli Dressing
1tbsp Maple Syrup
2 Red-skinned pears, cut into long, thin strips
100g salad leaves or Rockett
4 x 35g rounds of goats cheese
Raspberry & Mint Dressing
1. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and put the pecans on a non-stick baking sheet. Drizzle over the Sweet Chilli Dressing and maple syrup, and toss to combine. Roast for 5-7 mins until golden, then leave to cool completely before roughly chopping.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the pear with the salad leave, and toss with a little of the Raspberry & Mint Dressing.
3. Just before serving, blowtorch or grill the goat’s cheese rounds until golden. To serve, drizzle more Raspberry Dressing around the edge of the plate. Put the pear and rocket salad in the middle, scatter over the nuts and top with the goat’s cheese.
SMOKED SALMON & AVOCAO STACK
Looks impressive but so simple to make and a perfect starter for the big day.
1 halved cucumber, seeded and finely diced
2 ripe avocado but firm, peeled, stoned and finely chopped
1 lemon, zested and juiced
chopped chives to make 2 tbsp
2 tomatoes seeded and finely chopped
2tbsp capers, rinsed
200g smoked salmon
12 King prawns
1. Toss the cucumber with 1tsp of Lemon Dressing. In a separate bowl, gently fold the avocado with ½ the lemon juice 1 tbsp chives and season.
2. Spoon 1/6 of the cucumber mix onto a plate in a chefs ring approx. 8cm and fill in the circle, making a layer of cucumber. Top with 1/6 of the avocado mix and spread out to the sides of the ring. Drizzle with a little more Lemon Dressing.
3. Add a layer of smoked salmon, covering all the avocado, then lift off the ring to leave a three tiered stack.
4. Repeat with the remaining mix on 5 ore plates. Spoon over the rest of the dressing and garnish with king prawns and some salad leaves of your choice.
LEMON ROAST POTATOES
3-4tbs Lincolnshire Drizzle Lemon Dressing
1tbs coriander seeds
Extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 4.
2. Peel and halve the potatoes, bash the coriander seeds in a pestle and mortar.
3. Parboil the potatoes in boiling salted water for 10 to 12 minutes, until soft around outsides. Drain well and let steam-dry for 1 minute.
4. Heat a few tablespoons of Lemon Dressing in a tray in the oven for a couple of minutes, then throw in the potatoes, bashed coriander seeds and oregano.
5. Season well with salt and pepper and toss until the potatoes are well coated in the dressing.
6. Pop in the oven and cook for 45 to 60 minutes, turning every so often, until beautifully golden on all sides.
PARSNIPS & CARROTS IN ORANGE & GINGER
Try drizzling Lincolnshire Drizzle Orange & Ginger Dressing over Carrots, Parsnips and onion, coat well, season and roast in a preheated over (200 C/gas 4) for 45-50 minutes.
BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH PANcETTA, ORANGE & GINGER
Blanch the brussels, cool then halve. Warm some dressing in a frying pan, cook the pancetta, stir in the brussels and fry for 5-10 minutes until the edges start to brown.
LEFT OVER TURKEY
1 large flour tortilla
2 tbsp Sweet Chilli Dressing
juice ½ lime
1 tbsp sliced jalapeños, plus 1 tbsp of vinegar from the jar
handful crisp salad leaves
½ avocado, stoned & cut into chunks
1 tomato, chopped
½ small red onion, sliced
2 thick slices cooked turkey, shredded
1 tbsp cheddar, grated
soured cream, to serve
Mix the leaves, avocado, tomato, onion and turkey and toss with the Sweet Chilli Dressing. Pile onto the tortilla and top with the cheese, jalapeños and a dollop of soured cream. Roll up and enjoy!
TURKEY & AVOCADO BAGEL
½ small, ripe avocado, peeled
2tbsp Lemon Dressing
2 mini bagels, split in half
1 tbsp cranberry sauce
50g sliced cooked turkey or chicken
4 slices crispy cooked bacon
handful baby spinach or rocket leaves
Mash the avocado with the Lemon Dressing. Spread 2 bagel halves with cranberry sauce and 2 with avocado. Top the avocado halves with the turkey, bacon and leaves, then sandwich together with the cranberry halves. Wrap in cling film and chill until lunchtime.